Dr. Trevelyan's Da Vinci Conversation

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sir Richard Arcos says something about Scrolls

Sir Leigh Teabing's writings on the 'alterations to early Christian belief' are of such a woeful and distressingly ill-researched character that it is with difficulty I have been restrained from bunging them out of the window each time I read them. I must restrain myself because otherwise I should hit the gardener, and then he might (and probably would) sue (or at least resign, and good gardeners are difficult to find). But I have been able to control myself long enough to write something about the bloke's characterisation of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Teabing identifies these as 'Gospels,' despite their belonging to a Jewish community which had nothing to do with the early Christians. Not one of the scrolls speaks of Christ, unless one believes that a certain fragment is a part of one of the Synoptic Gospels. Indeed, the lack of any Palestinian equivalent of the Nag Hammadi Library should be worthy of note. The gnostics, in their blend of hellenistic philosophy and christianity, would seem to have had little support in the land of Christ's life. Moral? Jews are too sensible to believe Gnostic science-fiction. Sir Leigh Teabing isn't.

[Please refrain from personalities]
[No]
[Quite right]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home