Dr. Trevelyan's Da Vinci Conversation

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Juggling with Judas. Dr. Barton

I have not seen this 'Gospel of Judas' text, only the quotations in the Telegraph (Dr. Trevelyan's copy, I'm staying with him while I do some research at New College, Edinburgh). It's pretty straightforward Gnosticism, if you ask me. Listen to this: "Often [Jesus] would not appear to his disciples as himself, but he was found among them as a child." Contrast that with the Jesus of the Gospels, who had a real phyical form.

Or how about this: "Judas said to him [Jesus] 'I know who you are and where you have come from. You are from the immortal realm of Barbelo. And I am not worthy to utter the name of the one who has sent you." Contrast that with the Gospel account that 'God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him might not perish but have everlasting life.' Give me the old Gospel any time.
This is just Gnosticism, which we have known about for centuries. And, no doubt, I shall be taking questions on it in the classroom when we get back to work in Wymondham. I look forward to hearing Dr. Rainy preaching on Easter Sunday, affirming the Truth.

If you want a proper, sensible assessment of this 'Gospel', there's one here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home